On Sat, 1 Jul 2000, Bill Fisher wrote:

>Mandrake 7.0
>When I su to root, after entering the password, console displays:
>YPBINDPROC_DOMAIN: Domain not bound
>
>  what does this mean?
>
>Also, while the system is coming up from Boot Magic,  there is a delay while
>this message is displayed:
>  Listeing for an NIS Domain Server

Both things relate to the same problem.
When you su to root, run 'setup' and go to system services. At the bottom
you will find

[ ] ypbind

or in your case very probably

[*] ypbind

This means that the NIS daemon, a program that looks for certain
networking domains, is activated. Booting causes the first attempt to
access any system on a network cable (that you don't have but it tries
anyway). And when you 'su', the daemon tries it again, because often
"root" can also manage NIS domains.
To get rid of it, just unselect the ypbind daemon (press space on it), hit
OK, and OK again, and next time you boot the problem should have
disappeared magically. If it did, then, Bill, you did some real live
magic!

Paul

--
To be in the weakest camp