I haven't done this yet, and I'm running 7.0 so I'm not using grub.  If I
understand the original question you have a new additional boot listing.
This is a fail-safe.  If there is a configuration or other problem you still
have access to your original, working, kernel.  That way you still have easy
access to your system.  Once the new one is demonstrated dependable you can
remove the "original" entry and delete the file from your system.
    -Gary-

In a message dated 7/1/2000 9:59:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Romanator <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

 > After downloading a newer version of the kernel, I noticed that the
 > kernel version number was added to Grub. Although, the updater has
 > updated my kernel, is there a way of editing Grub to remove 2.2-16.9mdk?

 edit the file:
      /boot/grub/menu.lst

 > Is there a reason for this, and is it really necessary?

 hu, if you want to boot the kernel yes, is it

 --
 MandrakeSoft Inc                http://www.mandrakesoft.com
 San-Francisco, CA USA                             --Chmouel