On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, Pedro _ wrote:

Hi Pedro,

>Thanks Paul and Alan for your help.
>As I am very new with Linux there is a lot of things that I do not know how
>to do. So I kindly ask you again for your help to put my scanner working.
>
>ID of scanner: Ok
>
>Install SANE package: The only package I found is "SANE-devel" that is
>"static libraries and header files for writing SANE modules". If it is this
>package ok, it is installed (I made the installation with rpmDrake).

Sane-DEVEL means it is the development package for sane. There inside are
the program files for it so you can change the program to make it better,
if you wish.
The package that you need, as named on my MDK7.0-2 CD, is:

sane-1.0.1-8mdk.i586.rpm

In many cases it is already installed. You can check this by opening a
terminal and typing

xscanimage

In my case (did that on the computer WITHOUT the scanner) I see

[paul@internet paul]$ xscanimage xscanimage: no devices available.
Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkmain.c: line 534 (gtk_main_quit): assertion
`main_loops != NULL' failed.

>I read the readme file and I saw:
>"Configuration: Simply invoke configure in the top level directory"
>
>Question 1: What is the top level directory?

This is the directory where the development package has been
installed. Often /usr/src/sane...something..

>Question 2: How do I invoke configure? What is the exact words that I should
>write? Can configure be made from the console under kde?
>In "Building and installing software packages for linux" I read "Note that
>if you run configure, it should be invoked as ./configure to ensure that the
>correct configure script that will accomplish this purpose". I tried write
>./configure + enter, but I received an error message No file or directory.

./configure is indeed the right one, but you need to run that in the
directory where the 'configure' file is located.
(Adding this as extra info, with the real program package you should not
need all this)

>So, if you can help me with detailed and concrete instructions of how to
>finish my installation of SANE package I would appreciate very much ;)

In case you can run xscanimage (either as user or root, don't remember how
I do it), and you do not get a "command not found" error in a terminal, it
is already installed.
Is it not installed, locate the sane-1.0.1-8mdk.i586.rpm file on the CD
and install that by running

rpm -i /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS/sane-1.0.1-8mdk.i586.rpm

[paul@internet RPMS]$ which xscanimage
/usr/bin/xscanimage

Then you run

xscanimage

and see what happens. You can also create a shortcut to it on your desktop
when you scan a lot, of course.

The first time you run xscanimage, it will look for your scanner and try
to identify it. Worked great with my simple Mustek scanner so that Epson
should not be a problem. After that you're home free!
Good luck, and howl if you still have a problem. In case you can't find
the sane...rpm, let me know and I can e-mail it to you if necessary. It is
650Kb.

Paul

--
It is the mark of the cultured person that (s)he is aware
of the fact that equality is an ethical and not a

)0(    [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]    )0(
http://nlpagan.net -  ICQ 147208
Registered  Linux  User   174403

After that you should be able to get a similar result as I do: