Mark,

Nice response.

Being that I have done stand up comedy for many years (and yes, Star Trek
fans have been a constant target of said comedy over the years) I would
normally respond to you with some type of sarcastic response. However, in
this case I feel that would be unjustified as you have made a strong
argument against what I have said and I feel you deserve more respect than
that type of response might give back to you.

But no matter what is said to me, or whatever type of justification is
provided for it, I'll never understand why anyone would ever translate
Hamlet into Klingon. And you have to at least agree with me that Captain
Janeway is pretty annoying (what's the deal with the hair?)

To me the funniest part of the subculture that the show has created over the
years (which is somewhat understandable based on the fact that the show
first showed up during the "Space Race" era) is the fact that even the
actors themselves have constantly poked fun at the very same fans (and
themselves and their Star Trek roles) on a regular basis.

Another example of this would be the 3rd Rock From The Sun episode in which
George Takei appeared.

All in all I do not think the show itself was all that bad (for a weekly
sci-fi show from the 1960's) however I think that the underground movement
it has created has opened itself up to the torment of others. I do not
belittle the individuals personally who watch the show (including my very
own father who is in fact a very very loyal fan), they are people and as
such are welcomed to their own views on what they like and do not. Further I
do not feel their choices of entertainment are basis for making a personal
judgment. This is not to say that I do not enjoy making light of the
underground following that the show has spawned, because quite the opposite
is true. I just find it very funny (and somewhat frightening in respects)
when a science fiction/fantasy television show creates such emotions and
loyalties in people that they will be willing to sacrifice
large amounts of their lives to following it and to learning it's
idiosyncrasies. Perhaps society would be better served if people would use
their time to advance and learn of their own culture, rather than to
completely immerse themselves into a world of fantasy.

I recommend (if you have done so already) that you read the book "We" by
Yvengy Zamyatin. It provides a much more specific and detailed commentary on
the loss of culture and of the assimilation of the individual into the
general consciousness than I could ever provide in an e-mail.

In some ways it has an interesting parallel with the same subculture of
which have been speaking.

Fritz