Please remove name from newbie list......

I realize this answer doesn't help you.  But my system has 192MB that it
detected just fine when I installed Mandrake 7.1.  Even when I was
running 7.0, it detected the upgrade from 64MB to 192MB without any
intervention on my part.  It may have to do with your motherboard's
method of handling RAM/RAM reporting.