-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Brinkman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: miércoles 5 de julio de 2000 12:52
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Star Office 5.2

On Tue, 04 Jul 2000, you wrote:
> The one thing about Windows that I liked more than in Linux was
> installing programs. If you are honest most will admit that installing
> programs in Linux can be both fustrating and exasperating.
>   Well someone has at last shown a light at the end of the tunnel.
>    Sun has released Star Office 5.2. I download it for both Windows and
for
> Linux. Yesterday I installed in Win2000 and today I decided to try the
> install in Linux, hoping that it would not require to much hair pulling.
>    Do you know what I had to do to get Star Office to install in Linux? I
> had to click on the file. It actually had it's own installation program
and
> installed itself. The GUI was even the same as that used in the Win
> installation. I was shocked. Happy but shocked. I had never before seen a
> Linux program do this.
>    My one hope now is that more companies and developers will follow Sun's
> example and treat Linux users with the same degree of concern and support
as
> they show Window users.
>     If you want to try it the URL is www.sun.com/staroffice
> The Linux download is 93MB and you need to run the installation program as
> user not as root.
>
>    Charles   :-)

>   I don't agree Charles.  What's wrong with rpm? Easy to install
>and uninstall.  If all the various software vendors and developers
>began devising their own 'automatic' installs, I suspect utter
>chaos, and a lot of broken distros would shortly be the result.>
>
>--
>~~   Tom Brinkman    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I totally agree with Tom.
Even Microsoft agrees, as the new Windows installer features .msi files that

behaves in a *simpler* way as rpm does. Of course it opens it dialogs and
all
but I think that should be left to the first time you run the program.

Unified installation keeps track of system wide program dependency.

My .002 cents.

-f.