Hi, I pretty much do what Paul does, except I either
go to a Alt-Cntrl-F1 and log in as root and do what I
need to do from command line or in midnight commander
or just go to Gnome ... I use Gnome exclusively for root
stuff and use KDE for user stuff.  Simple stuff, like moving
mp3s and other files to archives on a windows partition,
I su in terminal window or use kfmsu whichever I am
in the mood for.  I have even been known on occasion
to su in terminal and run gnorpm to install certain small
rpms right in KDE.

The beauty of Linux is in its diversity.  There is no one
way to do something that has multiple ways of doing it
and still be right....it is a matter of preference....an individual
thing.

Bambi