My own experience witrh (re)compiling the kernel is very positive. It has
taught me the most about my system and about Linux.

Take your time. Read lots and read the HOWTOs from Linus and all as you go. If
you don't understand something as you work your way through it, hop on the Net
and find out.

we are all terrified at first that we are gonna break the kernel. Bear in mind
that the kernel that is running the system you are working from is not the same
as the one you are compiling. So, If you break the one you are compiling you
still have your working system.

Take your time. Allow several hours to work through it. When you are done you
will have the satisfaction of having built a totally customized operating
system just for your machine and for your needs.

--
Keith