When I compiled my first kernel, I had (goddies) a little
guide by hand (self made and getted in several docs)
about WHAT was needed and for WHAT. (approximatively)
So, that first experience was a success.
And have always 3 kernels ready for use in lilo,
the linus, an experimental and a good stable.
So, have always a good one to select within lilo
and there may be no pb.
And I didn't remove my old /lib/modules, figured out as
/lib/modules/x.x.xx (modules created by the kernel version)
             y.y.yy
etc..
Same for System.map (for all security)
Eric