I'm sorry I don't use VI, but I've read something about not including it
anymore and that it's actually some kind of enhanced VIM?  (The added
colors, etc that you're talking about).  Anyway, I've just searched
linuxberg and can't find a download, but possibly there's a way to turn off
the syntax highlighting?  Have you checked the howto's?  I'm in my Win2k
system right now so I can't look.

Good luck!
Mike