I had problems with my SB Live card on 7.1.  After running sndconfig, doing the
pocedures at linuxnewbie.com, etc, I discovered that my cord from the sound card to
the speakers was plugged into the digital port.  While this works in Windows, it
doesn't work in Linux.  Make sure you are using your analog port on your speakers.