Martin B wrote:

> well i finally managed to get the modem to get past the initilized
> stage and it dials etc but the kppp deamon dies when it comes to
> authentication
> on the providers network
> i clicked the details button and is say this
>
> By default the remote user is required to authenticate itself
> because the system has a default route to the internet
> but i couldnt find any suitable(secrect) password for it to use to do so
> none of the available passwords would let it do so
>
> lovely message dont you think
> now i have put in my user name and password for provider in the right place
> and have tryed pap and the other option just in case that was the problem
> but it
> still comes up with the same lovely message in details when the deamon dies
>
> do any of you know how i would go about getting this resolved
>
> Martin

Martin, I had the same problem. It has to do with the network configuration,
where you show which computer is the gateway and or if you show two IP
addresses for the same computer, like 127.0.0.1 /name and 192.168.0.1/name. I
played with so many of the netconfig settings before I solved the problem that
I am not sure exactly which one did it. I need to keep a detailed log of these
things as I go. Anyway the message indicates that you probably maybe definitly
have your modem configured correctly, just need to get the routing right.  I
know, not much help, but maybe pointing you in the right direction.

--
Dennis Registered Linux user # 180842