One of the easier-to-use and reliable firewall scripts that I've found is pmfirewall.
You can download the latest version free at www.pointman.org

It is a very flexible script that loads ipchains rules each time a connection is made
to the internet, or the interface is brought up. I supports masquerading for internal
hosts and has a lot of internal otptions that allow you to open and close a variety of
ports for various servers and services.

I use it on my home firewall (RH6.1) without any problems. Since Mandrake is a Red Hat
port, you should not have any problems.

You may also want to look at portsentry (look to freshmeat.net for the location) which
is a port scanner detection utility. Also very versatile, and reliable. This will
protect you from stealth scans and other hacks.

Third, you may wish to drop the telnet idea, and go with ssh (also, look to
freshmeat). It uses a 768bit encryption key and renews that key at every login (or at
intervals whichever is longer). There is a utility called PuTTY (also SecureShel) that
works on a windows machine to access ssh on a Linux/Unix machine. Far more secure than
telnet.

As long as you have an IP addres, you machine will be locate-able on the internet. But
with a firewall utility, and something such as portsentry you can make the openings
(ports) seem to disappear.

Portsentry will also update the ipchains rules and lock out any hosts that appear to
be dangerous. Entries are made to the hosts.deny file that include host name and IP
address. Once that is done your machine almost does disappear--atleast as far as that
particular host is concerned.

--Greg