I have a similar problem. Also have 7.1 CD package and can't boot from CD - the
bios setting doesn't work. I have uninstalled PnP. As far as I can get is
"detecting CD ROM" and the "loading second image" message. The computer then
reboots into Windows or goes through the same thing again if i use a floppy.
One I managed to get it to go through CD probing manually. Matshita was not on
the list - although it's  on  Mandrake's  official hardware list. I went
through all the other CDs that were found, but nothing else worked either.

Strange thing is, installation was successful on my other machine with almost
identical configuration. Any similar experiences, suggestions etc?

ABIT  BH6 Mother board
300 Mhz Celeron (o'clocked to 450)
64 MB PC100 RAM
Trident Blade 3d PCI/AGP