Hi all,
I have installed mandrake 7.1 on my laptop (Compaq Armada 7400). It has
an internal modem 56K V.90, but I can not configure it.
Could anyone help.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Saadi.
N.B The following text  is a description of the modem.

Internal Modem Support
Linux has support for controller based modems. The controller-less or
"winmodem" is not supported. The Armada 7400 and 7800 models with 333MHz
or faster processors use a 56K V.90 winmodem and the only driver Compaq
currently provides is for Microsoft based operating systems. Older 7400
and 7800 models with 300 MHz or slower processors use a 33.6Kbps
controller based modem which uses the standard Hayes commands and is
supported by Linux. The internal modem defaults to COM3 (0x3F8). Linux
expects the COM ports to use the "standard" resources: COM1 (0x3F8,
IRQ4), COM2 (0x2F8, IRQ3), COM3 (0x3E8, IRQ4), COM4 (0x2E8, IRQ3).
Notice that COM1/COM3 and COM2/COM4 share IRQ's. If COM1 and COM3 are to
be used simultaneously, Compaq recommends using Computer Setup for
Portables to move COM3 to its own IRQ. For example, if the user wished
to use the internal modem and an external serial mouse, then a good
choice would be to use IRQ3. IRQ3 is free for use by the internal modem
because COM2 (0x2F8), the fast infrared port, is assigned IRQ9. The
latest Compaq system ROM (BIOS) moves the internal modem to IRQ3 by
default, so we recommend you upgrade the BIOS prior to installing Linux.
Also be aware that if a system is setup to dual boot the Microsoft
Window 9.X operating system, then that OS can reassign the COM port
resources, resulting in the possibility of Linux not being able to use
the port(s).

Get Cyberia Webmail - Free e-mail you can access from anywhere!
http://www.ThisIsCyberia.com/Webmail/