Rumor has it, a FEW WinModems WILL work with Mandrake 7.2, but
on a whole, no --=> WinModems will not work with Linux.  Why
you ask?  I'll tell you!

WinModems are about 45% software driven.  They get rid of some
of the actual hardware components to save costs, and they attach
a lot of the things missing in hardware in the software drivers.
That's one reason why WinModems are stable for long term ISP
connections.  Since the software takes care of that, it runs a
lot more stable.

Well, as we all know Linux handles "drivers" in a much different
way.  Well nobody's gone and wrote drivers for WinModem's in Linux
for the most part.

So if somebody wanted to take the software from Windows/Mac, clone
it to Linux and then link it all properly then go 'head!!  I'm sure
a lot of people would be happy, but right now, only a very few are
supported (From what I've read.) in Mandrake 7.2.

So there's the scoup!  That's why there are problems with WinModems!
tdh
--
T. Holmes
Unixtechs.org

"Real Men use Vi."

* skalvin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [001216 09:23]: