DO NOT do the test in the install. answer with a resolution that you KNOW will work
e.g. 800x60016bpp  and then do NOT boot automatically into X.  When you boot up,
type startx and then in the configuration you can change and test to your heart's
content, and then set up to boot into X if you want to