Sorry, I answered out of order...

> >     3.  Do you like Helix Gnome?
> >     4.  Do you recommend it?

There are a lot of critics out there which have said the only thing they
don't like about Mandrake 7.1 is the fact that Mandrake chose NOT to use
Helix-Gnome in their distro.

Some people, though, have a point when they say that the Helix updater may
in fact install packages that are not approved by MandrakeSoft and may not
function accordig to the Mandrake optimisation.

I don't know...I have only used the Helix-Gnome updater under Red Hat.

> >     1.  Which environment (KDE, Gnome, ...) should i be using when i
install it?

Um... Gnome is the required environment to install under, the gui installer
which you download from Helix only runs under Gnome. Did you mean to ask
whether you needed to be in console mode to install?

> >     2.   Will it mess up my current gnome configuration?

Depending on how you have your system optimised, the Helix Updater may in
fact make unexpected or undesirable changes to your system. You run this
risk whenever you install a new version of a critical package such a
XFree86, desktop environments, or do OS updates.

> > I can't decide whether or not to install it. Hmmm well i'll just wait to
see what all of you say.

If you are not currently using gnome as you desktop environment, you may
want to try it out. You will be able to stay on top of the gnome updates
more readily as I don't believe Mandrake yet posts "daily gnome" updates to
the site.

--Greg

message envoye depuis http://www.ifrance.com
emails (pop)-sites persos (espace illimite)-agenda-favoris (bookmarks)-forums
Ecoutez ce message par tel ! : 08 92 68 92 15 (france uniquement)