I have been using Helix GNOME for some time now, so I believe I am well
qualified to answer your questions. Here goes...

1. I was running GNOME during the Helix GNOME installation. I was careful,
though, not to run too many GNOME apps. All I had open was GMC and a few panel
applets, just in case. If you are paranoid, you can do it from something like
KDE or a window manager alone (BlackBox is really cool).

2. After logging on and off again, I found that Helix GNOME had removed all my
panel applets. This was no problem, though, and I just restarted them manually.
One thing I found is that the combined Desktop Guide/Tasklist applet was no
longer present and I had to load a separate Desktop Guide and Tasklist to get
the same effect. If you choose to use the Sawfish Window Mamanger (which has
replaced Enlightenment as GNOME's default WM), then you may want to fiddle
around with the settings to get it working the way you want it. Although
initially annoying, I was much happier after everything was set up.

3. Helix GNOME is much better than its predecessor. You will find that the GNOME
team have concentrated on tweaking the interface for far better stability
and usability rather than doing anything drastic. The Sawfish Window Manager is
*much* better than Enlightenment and most other window managers. It takes up
much less memory and hard drive space, is faster, and is far more flexible via
its configuration menus (which have now merged with GNOME's) and its LISP-based
scripting language. GNOME now has far greater and better documentation for its
features, though it is still a work in progress.

4. I strongly recommend Helix GNOME. The Helix Installer makes installing GNOME
a snap. I downloaded the full installer (14Mb) rather than use their
recommended method (using Lynx), and I feel that this is a better method,
particularly if you don't want Lynx. If a problem arises you can simply restart
the installer and it will resume from where you left off.

I hope this all helps.

On Thu, 03 Aug 2000, Jim Dwyer wrote:

> Is anyone using Helix Gnome?  If so i got a few questions:
>     1.  Which environment (KDE, Gnome, ...) should i be using when i install it?
>     2.   Will it mess up my current gnome configuration?
>     3.  Do you like Helix Gnome?
>     4.  Do you recommend it?
>
> I can't decide whether or not to install it. Hmmm well i'll just wait to see what
>all of you say.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Jim Dwyer
> Registered Linux User# 184760

        Sridhar Dhanapalan
        Hi! I'm a .signature virus!
        Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!