Hi all, and thanks to everyone who offered ideas, even though they didn't
fix my problem, it's nice to know people care.

I have solved my partition problem, and thought I'd post the solution as it
may help others.  It ended up being very simple to solve.

I used Norton on my win98 and the scan disk utility creates an image file
(of FAT etc) called image.idx that it hides at the end of the c: drive.  If
you delete this, and then reboot to install Linux/repartition the process
works perfectly !

I must give credit to the author of FIPS, which I tracked down on the
linux.com site.  http://linux.com/firststep/faqs.phtml#sec.2.3 He describes
this in his readme file.

Hope this may help some others, as it certainly saved me a lot of grief,
even though it took me 1 week to find it.

Thanks again
Mike