Neptune wrote:

> > The Neptune wrote:
> >
> > > And I have more problems come up with Linux than I ever did have with
> > > windows that is why I just got done taking Linux off my HD and putting
> > > windows back on. Linux needs alot of work before it can even come
> > > close to preforming like windows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank God that Linux performs nothing like windows.  <reboot>typical mindless windows
user</reboot>
So what were these insurmountable "problems" .... I'm sure we'll find it rather
amusing.

> > > Where do you want to go today! Windows will get you there almost right out
> > > of the box. Were with Linux it May be a long time coming before you
> > > get every thing working just the way you like (but this may be more the fault
> > > of the applications you use and not linux itself.)
> > > Doug

Doug ...
    I can't seem to get my second cpu working in Winblows ... can you give me a hand
please.  Oh yeah, before you suggest that I break the bank on Win2k, I use a usb
mouse .... sorry.

In all honesty, you spend more time installing hardware on a linux machine if you
have either crappy
winware or obscure hardware.  On the hand, I don't spend near the amount of time in
Linux with software not
mention drivers and rebooting after an install.  Hell, it would take me a month and
over $1000 to find
substitutes for all the great linux software in Mandrake.  Not to mention
reinstalling my programs and
restoring backups.

> Companys like Mandrake should be working on making drivers for these lower cost
> products.

Why on earth would Mandrake want to support crappy software?  So someone can complain
about how lousy
there computer isin both Win and Linux?  We don't need to support the dummy crowd ...
they'll buy a new
computer long before someone spends the time to write a driver for their winmouse.  I
would much rather
see these talented people doing something useful with their time.  An mpg4 player
would be nice. :)

> And the winmodems etc cuts down on parts count and lowers the price of the machine
> and this make
> more equipment that can be had by lower income people.

Nonsense.  Cost really isn't much better.  If anything it raised the cost of regular
modems as much as it lowered
the cost of silly winjunk, and tripled the number of manufacturers with lousy or
non-existant tech and driver support.
As far as the low income people are concerned .... they can afford a library, if not
a used computer.

> Not everyone needs a high tech Doom playing machine! And as you can see I'm back on
> Linux
> again (but fore how long LOL) I wasted more money getting a Mandrake
> deluxe CD set. To help with getting more lib's to compile programs I download.
> Another problems I
> did not have with Windows!

Linux by all accounts is much better at running on lower end hardware .... you can't
even begin to dipute
that fact.  Also, I don't think you can really use cost as a factor when Linux can be
had for free.  You had
the option of buying or dl'ing and you chose to buy.  I've added a couple of programs
to Mandrake 7.1 and
one of them did require a library.  Big deal .... goto library site, dl,  make,
install, install program.

Glad to see your giving Linux another shot .... stick with it this time.

--
Larry Hignight          Descent 3 Beta tester          Caldera Linux 2.4
  7:40pm  up 18 days,  3:48,  4 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00