Hi,
I'm a relitivily new linux user and I got up this morning to boot into
win98 (I know 'who would want to use windows' but I really wanted to
play Janes WWII fighters:-) ).  Then after I finished what I wanted to
do I rebooted the computer and started to load linux.
Upon linux loading I get the error msg.
"VFS:Cannot open root device 03:06
Kernel panic..... 'pretty much same as above really'   "
then it just sits there.
I've tried using my rescue disk.  I placed it into the floppy drive
then at lilo types rescue and I get the same error.

What is causing this (or should I say could cause this).  I have done
several web searches and so far everything I have found on the error
msg have been relating to the upgrade of the kernel (which I haven't
done yet).

My machine is a
Celeron 533 (socket 370)
64MB RAM (Core, I read about it again {As I had heard the term before
but in realation to old mainframes})
15GB HD, 6GB win98 partition, 7 GB Linux (Mandrake 7.1) partition,
               300MB /Home partition, 100MB swap
ATI Rage IIc 8MB
Creative PCI Ensoniq
Motorola 56kbs winmodem