Hi all,
I'm no Linux expert, but I got this working awhile back.

This is usually the case, unless your school has a firewall that blocks
X traffic (in that case I use ssh (secure shell)).  You also need to set
the DISPLAY environmental variable on the remote machine to point to
your machine.

export DISPLAY=your.machine.name.here:0

(sometimes your telnet program will set this automatically, check it
after you log in using
echo $DISPLAY)

You also need to allow the machine via xhost (see man page) (I think!).

Hope this helps.

Scott