On Fri, 08 Sep 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (pardon me, I misplaced your real name),
>     How did you configure your voicemodem?  Since yours and mine are very
> similar, I would expect your solution to work for me too.  My modem is a 3Com
> / USRobotics, 56K, ISA (I forgot it was ISA, previously I wrongly stated it
> was PCI), PnP, and a faxmodem.  "PnP aware o/s" was disabled in CMOS prior to
> any LinuxMandrake installs.  Linux Mandrake's "isapnp" misdetects the modem's
> interrupt (the modem operates on COM2 in Windoze (no change in modem
> operating status or operation when going from motherboard CMOS PnP ON to
> OFF)).  I went into the isapnp file to verify just what the errors related
> to, and I confirmed the boot errors I was getting were from this modem
> interrupt problem.  Even under these conditions, using minitel I sent an ATDT
> to the modem and got a dial tone.

I configured it by
-placing the jumpers to select the COM port and IRQ as used by the modem I
was replacing.
-booting W**** with the USR CDRom in the player
-letting it install a slew of modem-related software
-Saying Yes when it wanted to sdetect new hardware

It then started playing with itself for some time, while displaying
something like:
"Now configuring the modem, this wil take a few minutes"

When it was finished, I tried connecting from W**** and it worked; logged
off, rebooted Linux, tried to connect and it worked straight away.

Cheers,

Ron the Frog, on the rainy banks of the Paraguay River.
--

                  The two most common elements in the universe
                          are hydrogen and stupidity.

              ---  http://personales.conexion.com.py/~rolgiati  ---