I have used both cable modem and DSL. I prefer the cable modem because it is
faster in my area. The drawback of DSL is the further you are from the main
office or switching cabinet the slower your speeds will be.I must have been
to far away only averaged 80KB downloads with DSL.
I average 300-400KB downloads. (Yes KB and not Kb).Cox@home uses dhcp but my
IP has been static for around 8 mos.You have to have a legitimate host and
server name such as host#.city1.home.com for you box and names for your mail
servers,Default gateway IP and DNS IP. These should be provided when the
tech does the install unless they have a self install option in your area.I
have never noticed any real bandwidth draw down but I live in Phoenix and
the technology is well established.I will give DSL credit for better
security in that you are on an isolated line up to the phone company.Using a
decent firewall and not sharing your files can keep you fairly safe on
either setup.
Regards,
John