John Rye wrote:

> Goldenpi wrote:
> >
> > I have been createing cds, for use on both windows and linux, containing
> > programing stuff. I have created it all on my hdd, but when I try to put it
> > on the cd it I am given the choice between iso9660 and some filesystem
> > called jouliet(I think). What is this filesystem, how well supported is it,
> > and which should I use. If I use iso9660 I would have to do a lot of
> > reorganiseing directorys.
>
> Jouliet is the long filename system.
> Just about every cd burner I've seen gives this as an option
> to the ISO9660 definition.
>
> ISO9660 is a internation standardised method for placing/writing data
> data to CDROMs
>
> I suggest reading the man pages for the particular program you
> are using.
>
> cheers

Just to clarify a bit, (cut and pasted from CD-writing HOWTO)

The most obvious difference between the ISO 9660 filesystem compared to
the Extended-2 filesystem is: you can't modify files once they are
written. Other limitations of the ISO-9660-filesystem include:

only 8 levels of sub-directories allowed (counted from the top-level
directory of the CD)

maximum length for filenames: 32 characters

650 MB capacity

RockRidge is an extension to allow longer filenames and a deeper
directory hierarchy for the ISO-9660 filesystem. When reading a CD-ROM
with RockRidge extensions under Linux, all the known properties of files
like owner, group, permissions, symbolic links appear (feels like a Unix
filesystem). These extensions are not available when reading the CD-ROM
under DOS or the Windows-family of operating systems.

El Torito can be used to produce bootable CD-ROMs. In order to use this
feature, the BIOS of your PC must support it. Roughly speaking, the
first 1.44 (or 2.88 if supported) Mbytes of the CD-ROM contains a
floppy-disk image supplied by you. This image is treated like a floppy
by the BIOS and booted from. (As a consequence, while booting from this
virtual floppy, your original drive A: (/dev/fd0) may not be
accessible.)

HFS lets a Macintosh read the CD-ROM as if it were an HFS volume (the
native filesystem for MacOS).

Joliet brings long filenames (among other things) to newer variants of
Windows (95, 98, NT). However, the author knows of no tool that allows
long filenames under plain DOS or Windows 3.11.

HTH,
Fuzz