Ok, here goes.  I just installed Mandrake 7.1.  I installed from windows 98
via cdrom.  Installation went fine as far as I could tell.  After install,
restarted PC at which time I can choose my OS or it automatically boots
linux and brings up login screen.

I logged in as a user to $ prompt.

I type "startx" and get spammed with the following error messages.  Actually
there is about a 2 second pause between the first line and the those
following.

execve failed for /etc/X11/X (errno 2)
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
giving up.
xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): Unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error

This make any sense to anyone?

I would greatly appreciate anyone's insight.

John