<Soapbox>
I don't want to sound snotty but have you tried
reading  the documentation for X?

I spent about three weeks struggling to get x 4.01
installed recently.  I finially figured it out and got
it running with my voodoo5.

One of the nicest outcomes of that process is that I
am much more at home in my linux box at the command
line.  I realize the truth now that X really is just
another program that you can run on linux.  I can also
understand now how people can choose to not install it
at all and still have a usable computer.

All in all the semantics for the XF86Config file is
pretty straight forward once you grasp its quirky
logic.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the "Crap, I broke it
so thoroughly that I have no idea how to fix it.
Guess it's time to re-install." thing.  My knowledge
of linux is just starting to grow out of it now.  All
I'm really trying to say is that you can fix these
things without re-installing and the feeling of
accomplishment when you do is totally awesome.

</Soapbox>

smile!  eventually the sun will blow up and the earth
will just be a drifting cloud of dust in a vaccum at
-454 degrees farenheit.  Want a beer?

Dacia

oh yea, xfree868.org has a great mailing list called
[EMAIL PROTECTED] I suggest you subscribe to it.  You
can post your log file and one of the developers will
tell you exactly what is worng and what to fix.