Title: RE: [newbie] host.allow

I've seen this nomenclature in other places, like samba man etc, does it really mean to put the  .com at the end. Should I be putting as an example  localhost.localdomain.com or can I leave the .com off? This confuses me for some reason.   Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Holly Henry-Pilkington
Sent:   Monday, September 11, 2000 8:21 AM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        Re: [newbie] host.allow

The format of hosts in hosts.allow or hosts.deny is:

SERVICE: host name

e.g:

TELNET: mydomain.com
FTP: 123.456.789.012 yourdomain.com
ALL: 111.111.111.
ALL: ALL

The first is specifying by domain name which has to be resolvable via DNS
or present in your /etc/hosts file to work. The second is an example of
specifying by IP address as well as how to enter multiple hosts for a
given service.

The third is an example of a subnet mask. For example, if you wanted to
give all of your local network machines access to all services, you would
put in the first three parts of the IP addresses (the parts that all of
your internal machines have in common) and end with a dot. Then all
machines on that subnet will have access.

The final example (what I use in hosts.deny) is the wildcard ALL. You can
use this for services you want fully open like HTTP or FTP for certain
servers.

For more info, type:

man hosts.allow

at your command line.