On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, John Rye wrote:

>I am running thru my list of startup services disabling
>all those I don't routinely need to load.
>
>I note that at each reboot (I doing lots at present) kudzu
>runs and does a check for new hardware.
>
>Do I really need to run this as the hardware doesn't change
>and is not likely to change in the near future?

Somewhere in Linuxconf (don't recall exactly where in boot options) you
can switch off the hardware checker.

>And out of that comes another question... If when I finally get
>to replace this aging Pentium 133 mobo with some more recent
>(say 386sx16 or similar) - is is just a matter of swapping
>the existing hardware and rebooting OR........???

As long as you have your /home dir on a separate partition you should be
fine. It is best to format and reload the root partition, and also the
/usr partition. At least that is my experience.

Paul

--
How do crazy people go through the forest?
They take the psycho path.

http://nlpagan.net - ICQ 147208 - Registered Linux User 174403
              -=PINE 4.21 on Linux Mandrake 7.1=-