----- Original Message -----
From: "John Rye" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2000 6:52 AM
Subject: Re: [newbie] why only ttyS0-ttyS3?

> markOpoleO wrote:
> >
> > The question is the Subject..why do they only have 0-3 when most modems
> > have installed have more the 4 "com" ports in windows...is there a way i
can
> > add ttyS4 so linux reconizes it?  I saw it listed in /dev but does not
show
> > up i ppp modem setup.
> >
> > markOpoleO
>
> Mark
>
> I assume you are coming from a windows environment
>
> Things are just a little bit different and normally
> number from 0 (zero) and up
>
> Linux also has four (and even more) ports.
> They are number 0 to 3 which is the same as 1 to 4
>
> Remember  Com1 = ttyS0
>           Com2 = ttyS1
>           Com3 = ttyS2
> and       Com4 = ttyS3

   I had hoped that you might have picked this up from my earlier post.
   In Linux, PCI modems ARE ttyS3.
   Check the List archive I have several times posted the procedures for
configuring PCI modems.
   If you have difficulty finding the procedures let me know and I will
email them to you direct in order to spare the other members another weekly
lesson.

   Charles  (-: