Hello,
I am a new Linux User and, of course, I have lots and lots of things to know
about this very stable OS. As more of the new linux users, I come from
windows world, in fact I need to run both OS because wine and vmware can't
run perfectly some very specific applications (actually vmware almost can,
it is a very interesting option but not GNU).

Well, I installed in two computers Mandrake 7.0, one Toshiba Satellite
4090XCDT and one Pentium II with CD-Graber, TV card, Ethernet Card.....
After solve via internet some problems, almost everything worked OK.

I was very glad with Linux and I decided to use Mandrake 7.1 in both
computers and then, the problems appear. In both computers it has been
impossible to run linux in graphic mode; along the instalation everything
seems to work OK; Mandrake 7.1 detects all the hardware, even the monitor
and graphic card type, but when I run linux It tries to run in graphic mode
and after some seconds, the blue screen fall down and appear the login in
text mode.
In the case of the Laptop the next messages appear:

(--) SVGA: PCI Trident Cyber 9525 DVD rev 73, Memory 00cff800000,
0xff000000, MMIO@ Oxff7e0000
(--) SVGA: Trident chipset versión: 0xf3(Cyber 9525)(YES, IT IS THE CORRECT
CHIPSET)
(--) SVGA: Bios reports Clock Control Bits 0x3
(--) SVGA: Detected a Trident Cyber 9525 DVD
(--) SVGA: Detected an TFT 1024x768 Display
(--) SVGA: Revisión 65
(--) SVGA: Using Trident programable clocks
(--) SVGA: chipset: cyber 9525
(--) SVGA: videoram: 2048 K
(**) SVGA: Option “power_saver” (DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE ** SYMBOLS MEANS?)
(**) SVGA: Using 16 bpp, Depth 16, Color weight: 565
(--) SVGA: Maximum allowed dot-clock: 230.000 MHz
(**) SVGA: Mode “1024x768”: mode clock = 75.000
(**) SVGA: Mode “800x600”: mode clock=60.750
(**) SVGA: Mode “640x480”: mode clock=36.000
(--) SVGA: Virtual resolution set to 1024x760
(--) SVGA: Using linux Frame Buffer at 0x0f8800000, size E Mb
localhost being added to acces control list
localhost being added to acces control list (IT IS NOT WRONG, THIS LINE
APPEARS TWO TIMES)

Waiting for x server to shut down (AFTER THIS MESSAGE YOU CAN SEE THE
LOGIN REQUEST)

Another data; in the Pentium II one time I made a instalation of 7.1 over
7.0 without formating the "/" partition and the linux 7.1 worked.

I can't understand how 7.0 worked perfectly and 7.1 not.
Could you please help me?
Thanks a lot

Francisco Alcaraz Ariza
Departamento de Biología Vegetal