Newbie group, please help me get rid of this annoyance!
    The DPMS (computer operation suspension for power conservation) function
disabled correctly under Linux Mandrake 7.0, but since I upgraded to LM 7.1 I
can't disable the DPMS from functioning.  I have been setting it from KDE by
going > K > configuration > Hardware > DPMS and then unclicking the DPMS
enabled button.  Finally clicking OK or the Apply button and then OK makes no
difference.  Root or a user makes no difference.  Setting DPMS and rebooting
doesn't make any difference.  In all cases DPMS works whether enabled or not!
 This is not coming from the motherboard BIOS!  If it makes any difference
I'm using XFree 3.3.6 not 4.0 (which gives an illegible screen).
    Curiously, (even though the DPMS button doesn't make any difference) the
DPMS enabled button only remains released during the current session for
either a user or root.  Logging in always finds DPMS enabled button pressed,
whether rebooting or not, whether changing from root to a user (or back) or
not.
    How do I set DPMS off in another way and get past this annoyance?
    -Gary-