Jeff, sorry about taking so long to reply but I had alot of backup. change the
owner of the imwheel.pid to imwheel. That should solve it.

--Al

Alan Shoemaker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Jeff Malka wrote:

> This is very basic but I am having trouble figuring it out.
>
> There is a program called imwheel that produces a file called
> /tmp/imwheel.pid.  If I start it as a user I can overwrite imwheel.pid
> (which I need to do at boot up).  If I happen to start imwheel as root,
when
> I boot again as a user, I cannot overwrite the imwheel.pid produced by root
> unless I become su to delete it first.
>
> Is there a way to force imwheel to produce an imwheel.pid that can be
> overwritten by any user?  How?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Jeff Malka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Registered Linux user  183185

Jeff....actually this isn't a direct answer to your question,
but rather food for thought as to how you use the system.
There really is never a need to boot into level 5 and login as
root.  You can do anything you need to as root from a level 5
login as a normal unpriveleged user.

You can login as root to any of the 6 consoles (ctl-alt-f[1
thru 6]) and return to your desktop (it's a good idea to
logout before returning) when done (alt-f7).  You can run any
of the console programs and use the command 'su -' to become
root.  And you can run KFM as 'su root'
(K[menu]->Applications->File tools->File Manager(Super User
Mode).

Using these tools to do my work as root, I never login as root
(except into 1 of the 6 consoles that I acvcess as a user, and
then only for the time it takes to do the chore that needs
root access) and when I am acting as root it's only for the
short period of time it takes to actually do what needs to be
done as root.

Try it, you might like it. :-)

Alan

http://home.netscape.com/webmail