Oh ok, I wonder, is there a way I can create a "rescue" disc
in case I want to replace grub with Lilo in case it does not
co-operate?

I don't think I have grub installed, as it is just some
files in /boot/grub and no install.sh file.

Do I need to install some other software to activate it?

Well, off to snoop around in the faq about grub, although
I don't think I caught anything about how to specify a
runlevel, maybe I need to snoop more or something.
many thanks