Well I can tell you what you did wrong. At the end of the Helix-Gnome
installation, it asks if you'd like to keep your current login, or set it up to
use Helix-Gnome's login. It defaults to Helix-Gnome's. So I guess you just
missed that step.

Unfortunatly, I do not know what file decides what gets executed, and I don't
know how to get back to the default Mandrake login. Sorry

--
Anthony
http://binaryfusion.net