Hello,

I have a webserver up and running on my Linux box (Mandrake 7.1).  My domain name is www.digitalpalace.net I am trying to give my user his own webspace like www.digitalpalace.net/~user .  I have copied the httpd folder in the home directory into the users directory.  I have also tried creating a folder called public_html and putting the index.html file inside that.  When I did these things I get an 'access forbiden' error when I point my browser to the website.  I have also changed the permissions on both the public_html folder and the index.html file.  The only thing I can think of is there is a configuration in the /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file.  Below is a clipping of my httpd.conf file.  It looks good to me.

If anyone knows how to give users their own webspace or what I am doing wrong please help me out.

#----------------- Name Space and Server Settings ---------------------
# In this section, you define the name space that users see of your http
# server.  This file also defines server settings which affect how requests are
# serviced, and how results should be formatted.
# This used to be a separate file. Now part of httpd.conf
# (srm.conf -- Apache HTTP server configuration file)
#

# DocumentRoot: The directory out of which you will serve your
# documents. By default, all requests are taken from this directory, but
# symbolic links and aliases may be used to point to other locations.

DocumentRoot /home/httpd/html

# UserDir: The name of the directory which is appended onto a user's home
# directory if a ~user request is recieved.

UserDir public_html

# DirectoryIndex: Name of the file or files to use as a pre-written HTML
# directory index.  Separate multiple entries with spaces.

DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm index.shtml index.cgi  Default.htm default.h

# FancyIndexing is whether you want fancy directory indexing or standard

FancyIndexing on