Jose,
    I had the same thing when I updated to LM7.1 and used the new XFree86 4.0
option (on custom install), where version 3.x worked fine.  When I changed
back to the version 3 XFree86 it again worked, but don't make my mistake: I
tried making changes while using this illegible screen and seriously screwed
up Linux.  I went ahead and reinstalled.  I know that LCD screens are more
difficult, but my question to you is: which X are you using?
    I'm behind, if this matter has been addressed, my apologies to all.
-Gary-

In a message dated 10/1/2000 3:40:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,