I too spent the better part of last night trying to get XFree86 4.0 working with my Rage Mobility P on a Dell Inspiron 5000 after installing LM7.1. However, I get no lines, just a black screen. Tried changing res, monitors settings, etc. w/ no luck. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I just joined the list today, so I apologize in advance if this has been discussed. Thanks, Jonathan -----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] Sent: Friday, October 06, 2000 1:27 PM To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: Re: [newbie] Gateway Solo 9300 and Xfree86 Jose, I had the same thing when I updated to LM7.1 and used the new XFree86 4.0 option (on custom install), where version 3.x worked fine. When I changed back to the version 3 XFree86 it again worked, but don't make my mistake: I tried making changes while using this illegible screen and seriously screwed up Linux. I went ahead and reinstalled. I know that LCD screens are more difficult, but my question to you is: which X are you using? I'm behind, if this matter has been addressed, my apologies to all. -Gary- In a message dated 10/1/2000 3:40:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes: << the chipset being the Rage Mobility P which is the one in the laptop. When I go to test the screen becomes white with lines crossing it and that's it. If >>