> so when one does the upgrade option with mandrake, when it's finished all of your
>exiting installed programs will still work?  and all of your user preferences will
>still exist?  and all the little tweaks and changes you have made will still be
>there??  this sounds simply too good to be true.  me thinks it could be a dream......

> but i'm hoping it's not.    =)

I've only done it once but that seemed to be the case.  The problem with
the process is that it takes hours (or so it seems) for the upgrade
process to plough through everything necessary to check to see that
everything is "ok".

Truthfully, I'm moving pretty much into the camp that Tom Brinkman
described.  I have distribution that establishes most of my software, a
short list of things I need to set once it's installed and a couple
programs on another CD to install.  Then I'm good to go.  I did it just
last week and it took me just over an hour, starting with swapping around
partitions and reformatting.

Realize that I've also got all my config files backed up so I simply
execute all of the programs, like Pine, that self-install on first use and
then copy my config files into my home directory.

Cheers --- Larry