Michael Alberts wrote:

> alright, well, I was cooking just fine until i screwed
> something up and now it seems that the password has
> been changed for 'root'. Is there any way of changing
> or correcting the root password IF you don't know what
> it is to begin with? Currently, I can only access
> 'single' init. The X system won't start for some
> reason.
> Scott
>
> --- Michael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > If ya have any questions about what certain services
> > are just
> > ask. Generally a home machine will want about a
> > dozen things running but
> > you should try doing a port scan on your machine to
> > make sure you don't
> > have a lot of weird ports open. Using tcp wrappers
> > is at least as
> > important as shutting down unused services. Also
> > most of the worst danger
> > services are in inetd so edit those out.
> >
> > If you screw your Linux box you can always (usually,
> > unless you go totally
> > psycho w/ security) use 'single' as an argument to
> > lilo or grub and it'll
> > put you into 'save your ass' mode even if you can't
> > do a normal login.
> >
> > *^*^*^*
> > Have the courage to take your own thoughts
> > seriously, for they will shape
> > you. -- Albert Einstein

Scott I run Mandrake 7.0 & LILO. Here is the way I can change the root
password if I forget it.
reboot
At the LILO prompt type 'linux 1'. No quotes of course.
this will boot into a single mode with no need to logon (no need for a
password).
At the prompt type 'passwd' and press enter.
Enter a passwod.
Enter the password again.
Now reboot and use the new password.
Just use ALT+CTRL+DEL to reboot.