> as for the /home stuff as I am the sole user of this system what do I
> stand to gain from installing stuff to /home rather than /usr?

For personal configuration files, and depending on the application, if you
have a separate /home partition, you can remove a linux / partition,
reinstall another version, sometimes another distro, and retain the previous
installations. It also instills a bit more organisation to your
installation--remember: in Windows, not everything pertaining to an
application is in C:\Program Files...much of it is scattered amongst two or
three other directories.

Of course, if you're the only user, you can certainly get away with creating
only the /boot and / partitions in addition to your swap.

--Greg