Hi Mark,

I am a little behind you but maybe I can help. I have a Toshiba Satellite
4090 XDVD notebook with Win2000 and LM 7.0 installed. I also had some
problems configuring my video card. My computer has a Trident Cyber 9525
Graphic Adapter which is not available. I chose the closest option (Trident
Cyber Generic)... It would fail the test with my prefered resolution of
1024x768 so I chose a lower resolution... which passed the test... After
completing the Linux instalation, under the X environment, I went back to
Dragconfig and redefined my video card to the proper resolution and it
works fine. I have no complains...

My advice is to try different resolutions, frequencies, etc. until you
arrive to one that passes the test. After finishing the instalation try
modifying it later from the X environment to the resolution you want (of
course knowing your computer can handle it).

I hope this can help you. By the way my Toshiba works fine with Linux, even
the winmodem. I found useful guides for installing Linux on a Toshiba
Satellite 4090 XDVD at http://hartic.sssup.it/~lamastra/ (could be of help)

Best luck,

Ricardo