>       Thanks for the reply.  I should have mentioned that I was root
> when I tried it.  I tried again but no joy.  Have to admit I'm a little
> frustrated trying to get linux setup.  Can't seem to get kde running
> either.

Hmmm...sounds like you've got all kinds of problems.  I've done at least a
dozen installations of Linux (several flavors) and haven't had any major
problems except for on my HP machine, which is one of those "package it up
so we can sell it cheap" machines and it's got a bunch of HP OEM video
stuff and a Winmodem in it.  Getting the video functioning took a bit and
there's nothing I can do about the winmodem.

Just for kicks, why don't you go to /usr/local and see if you can find the
Acrobat4 directory.  If it's there, check to see if acroread is there.  It
could be that the error was generated because the file is already
there.  Why the Acrobat script doesn't put that executable in
/usr/local/bin is beyond me but because it doesn't, the executable isn't
on your path so you wouldn't even know it was there.

Cheers --- Larry