John:
To reinforce Greg's posting, I made a simple (I thought) motherboard
upgrade in June, and it was not as painless as I'd expected. Going over
my log, the problems were related to IRQ assignments, BIOS settings and
stuff like that. Getting the Win98SE half of this beast operational was
particularly troublesome. It took several evenings. Great quantities of
amber fluids and nicotine were consumed (there being no hair left to
tear out), and the air was filled with profane mutterings about a
certain Bill G****. It must be noted that the Penguin was not
particularly happy with the change, either, but once the settings mess
was resolved, Mandrake bought into the deal, and pretty much said, "OK,
big deal. So you spent a few bucks. Now what?" All that I did was to use
the bootdisk and CD-ROM, select upgrade, and ten minutes later I was on
the web.
YMMV. And RTFineM -- several times. And, if the new board uses the VIA
chipset, pay attention. Finally, enjoy the new system.
(And how many UNIX installations are there now? My guess is at least
200.)
-- Best regards
-- Carroll