On Thu, 19 Oct 2000, you wrote:
> I'm about to change my mobo amd cpu.
> Can (may) I do just that and expect everything to carry on
> as it does at present except somewhat quicker?
> I'm moving from Pentium 120 to AMD K6 on an Epox MVP3E Atx
> motherboard and expect to just powerdown swap cards and drives
> and re-power.

      I've done a motherboard/cpu swap several times, never had any
problems.  Just make sure you retain current bios config for things
like drives and IO ports. ie, when you boot the new hardware the
first time, go immediately into bios and make neccessary changes
before you let linux boot.

    There's no guarantees tho, so backup anything you can't afford
to lose.  Now I've also swapped drives around.  For that I put in
the install CD, chose 'upgrade' but with no changes/add'tl packages,
and let it make all the various config changes (eg, fstab, and
whatever).  No problems, back up and running in a few minutes.

   Bottom line is try it. If you have problems, try 'upgrade'. If
that doesn't solve the problems you can always re-install as a last
resort.
--
Tom Brinkman        [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Galveston Bay