DataChannel wrote:

> If defrag finds any errors during the scandisk-like mode of it (first 5%) it
> wouldn't let me continue.  I ran scandisk before running defrag and it
> didn't do anything to my linux partition because I rebooted to linux to make
> sure it still works and it worked after scandisk was run and there were no
> errors in scandisk.
>
> Defrag is supposed to only defragment files within the partition, why does
> it go as far as wiping my linux partition and screwing up the partition
> table to do it?
>
> Even if I disable its check for errors and program optimizer, it ends up
> destroying the linux partition when run.
>
> What does defrag need to do to other partitions to get its job done on the
> windows partition anyways and WHY?

Might I suggest --- why 'defrag'?? I stopped using that just before Adam
got his first pair of short pants cause it was inconsistant with some
hard disks - can't rememeber which ones now.

I think you'd find that the norton/symantec utilities rather more
reliable and configurable to your linux situation. Certainly gives
me no problems.

Cheers

Addendum - further along the thread.....

I'm sure that it's NOT 'scandisk' which does it in this case, I'm very
much more inclined to suspect 'defrag' simply because of my past
experience.

Other thing about defragging applications in the M$ enviroment is,
that these apps MUST NOT BE INTERRUPTED while running and this includes
even moving the mouse!!! That will cause them to halt and restart!!

Defrag in in particular is bad for this, as there is no guarantee that
it with retain the memory it had before the screen was re-written.

My advise to all defraggers regardless of the application - start it -
leave it to run (NO SCREENSAVERS) and walk (or even run) away, for
several hours!

Much more reliable then in as much as the fat filesystems are reliable.

Second Cheer

--
ICQ# 89345394     Mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"The number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected"