On Sat, 21 Oct 2000, you wrote:
> NEVER, I Say NEVER, run Scandisk.
> It makes more errors than i fixes.
> If your PC is going slow, format the drive or delete the
> partition, and install Linux again!!
>
> Microsoft Scandisk should NEVER have been invented..!

   never say never.
   I've dual booted since I began with linux several years ago. I've
not had a problem with Scandisk, other than that it's necessary to
run M$ OS's ;)
    Consider all the possible combinations of bios settings, that
all motherboards aren't created equal (even from the same
manufacturer, based on the same chipset), all the different
harddrive schemes (even from the same manufacturer), and many other
variables, including the most common... there's a whole lot of
Windoze inspired junk hardware out there, specially the most popular
name brand ready made crap.  It's amazing to me that more Linux
users don't have problems with M$ disk utilities screwing up Linux
file systems.
     My experience has taught me, and I believe I'm in the vast
majority on this, when problems like this occur they're best
approached as caused by user, hardware, OS.  In that order. If
overclocking or a ready made is involved (eg, Dell, Gateway, Compaq,
etc), then hardware might come before user.
--
Tom Brinkman        [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Galveston Bay