Eddie Torres wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Oct 2000, you wrote:
> >
> > Hi, I have a sound card driver im trying to install, a TBS Montego II. While
>installing the drivers a error "Device/Resource in use" comes up and interrupts the
>process. The installation does not complete. Im have a P3 600 with 128mb , and dual
>boot to Win98 and Mandrake.  I checked the Aureal website and it says to disable the
>BIOS option "PnP OS" , i did this and it still doesn't work. If someone can help me
>please reply. Thanks very much.    yc

> That's not unusual,  I don't know of many folks getting any of the Vortex
> chipset cards working under linux.  What is your kernel version?  BTW,
> there is a forum in linux.aureal.com and they should be able to help you
> further, if not try aureal.soundforge.net.

The 'device busy/resourse in use' message indicates to me that you
probably have an IRQ or address conflict.

Seeing that you dual boot - you should be able to establish what Windows
uses and then see which linux device is using that gets you this
message.

I'm not familiar with the card you are trying to use, but it would be
well worth checking to see if you are able to either software or jumper
configure the hardware to a location which is not in conflict with other
devices in the machine.

Remember that windows often bodges things and frequently shares either
addresses or IRQ's (and sometimes BOTH!) - linux on the other hand
'prefers' to have each device separately addressed.

You can get the windows data by looking at the properties of the device
in Control Panel -> System. and comparing it with that which is recorded
in the text files in /proc

Pass those addresses etc - maybe one of use will see the conflict
straight
off.

Cheers
--
ICQ# 89345394     Mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"The number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected"