Here are several reasons why WINE is a better solution to VMware when it
comes to gaming. Before you start criticising me you all should know that I
own a copy of VMware and have used it extensively. I haven't used WINE much,
but I have read a lot about it, especially in the past few days.

1. VMware requires you to install a full version of the operating system you
wish to use. Dreja Julag (the originator of this thread) has stated, "I only
have room for one OS," so that instantly rules VMware out in this case.

2. Emulating an *entire* OS is very resource intensive, and the resulting
virtual machine's speed is about half that of the real thing (depending on
how much RAM you have -- I have 256MB). Unless you have a very powerful
machine, it is likely that the emulation will take up so much resources that
you cannot do much else. WINE, on the other hand, only emulates those
functions that you need (e.g. it doesn't load M$IE even when you don't want
it).

3. WINE has been proven to be capable of running such complex games as Unreal
Tournament and Starcraft, among others. I have read very favourable reviews
of recent builds in the Linux online press. Don't base judgements of WINE on
old builds.

4. WINE runs better if it can access a copy of WinDOS. This may not help in
Dreja's case, but it may help others.

5. This point is especially important for games. VMware does not support
DirectX. DirectX allows a game to bypass the OS and access the hardware
directly. This cannot be done efficiently in a virtual machine.

I'm sure there are other reasons as well that I can't think of at the moment,
but this should do.

One thing, Dreja, are you sure that you cannot install a version of Linux on?
I have an installation of Linux with *everything* I'd ever need (both GNOME
and KDE2, word processor, Netscape 4, Mozilla M18, etc.) in under 600Mb! And
that can be easily be cut down. If this is still too big then you could try a
distro that is designed for small installations or one that stores itself in
a compressed virtual partition. Another solution is DemoLinux
(http://www.demolinux.org), which runs almost totally off a CD. Is Mandrake
really the distro for you?

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan
        "One World, One Web, One Programme" - Microsoft Promotional Ad.